- To prevent lost time: on using the most effective medication first, not last
- ADHD, Accidents, and Premature Death
- How lithium helps prevent suicide: one patient’s experience
- Psychopharmacology Made Simple: What’s it like when an SSRI[i] works?
- Psychopharmacology Made Simple: What’s it like when Wellbutrin works?
Monthly Archives: January 2017
Psychopharmacology Made Simple: What’s it like when an SSRI works? What benefit can one expect from a medication? While it’s easy enough to find information online about side effects and diagnostic indications (approved uses), it’s much more difficult to learn … Continue reading
Wellbutrin (bupropion) works quite differently from SSRIs such as Lexapro (escitalopram), the subject of a previous blog post. How does it work? Per UpToDate, “like other antidepressants the mechanism of bupropion’s activity is not fully understood”.  Clinically, it’s … Continue reading
Hypomanic states are rarely observed by the psychiatric clinician. Bipolar patients are much more commonly depressed (according to Judd et al, bipolar II patients spent only 1.3% of the time in hypomania over 13 years of follow-up). http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/fullarticle/207252 accessed 1/14/17 … Continue reading